HDB Registered Renovation Contractors (RRCs) are required to observe and comply with the terms and conditions governing the HDB Registered Renovation Contractors' Scheme.
HDB will take appropriate action against HDB RRCs who are found to have infringed the terms of the registration scheme.
1. Registration Fees
The Contractor shall :
- submit the application for registration or renewal to HDB electronically. The Contractor will be informed of the approval via email. No renovation registration card will be issued.
- pay to HDB the registration fee of $100 or any sum which HDB may in its sole discretion deem fit, on registration. The registration fee is non-refundable in the event that the registration is subsequently terminated.
2. Security Deposit
The Contractor shall pay to HDB a security deposit of $5,000 by a guarantee issued by a Bank/ Finance Company/ Insurance Company acceptable to HDB upon registration. HDB may file a claim on the security deposit in the event of a breach of any of the terms of the Scheme.
3. Renovation Permit
The Contractor shall :
- obtain HDB's prior approval before the commencement of the renovation works (ie for renovation works that require a renovation permit).
- submit the application for renovation permit on behalf of flat lessee, when authorized by the flat lessee. Such application must be submitted electronically from the My HDBPage.
- check and verify that flat lessee has opened an Utilities Account (i.e. water and electricity) for the HDB flat with SP Services Ltd before submitting the application for the renovation permit.
4. Compliance with Permit
The Contractor shall :
- carry out the Works in any HDB flat strictly in accordance with the requirements of the renovation permit issued to its flat lessee and in a good workmanlike fashion.
- use prepacked material/waterproof screed in wet areas such as bathrooms, toilets, balconies and kitchen.
5. Demolition/Hacking of Walls
The Contractor shall:
- ensure that HDB’s prior written approval is obtained before the commencement of the demolition/hacking of walls in HDB flats, be it partially or fully.
- engage only certified workers to carry out demolition or hacking works in HDB flats. These certified workers must have obtained a Certificate of Successful Completion (CSC) in Demolition works for Renovation Contractors issued by BCA Academy. This mandatory requirement will commence from 1 January 2014.
- take full control of the activities carried out in the flats with close supervision on the works.
- strictly ensure that structural members such as reinforced concrete walls, columns, beams and slabs are not allowed to be tampered with.
6. Execution of Work
The Contractor shall :
- carry out Works which generate noise, such as demolition of walls, removal of floor/wall finishes, cutting of tiles, etc. strictly between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm on Mondays to Fridays [such works are not allowed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays].
- complete all Works which generate noise in any HDB flat within three consecutive days.
- carry out the Works [other than the Works which generate noise] strictly after 8.00 am and cease all Works before 6.00 pm daily.
- not do or allowed to be done anything in or to any HDB flat that may in the opinion of HDB be likely to cause damage to any flat or cause nuisance, interference, disturbance, annoyance or inconvenience to any lessee or occupier of the adjoining or neighbouring flats.
- fully complete the Works in any HDB flat within the period stipulated in the renovation permit.
7. Display of Notice
The Contractor shall :
- personally serve a written Notice of Renovation to a minimum of two neighbouring flats surrounding the HDB flat in which the Works [including works which do not require a renovation permit eg. relaxed renovation items, any carpentry works] will be carried out and the dates when such Works will be carried out. The Notice must be served at least three days in advance before the commencement of the renovation works.
- display HDB's Notice of Renovation at a prominent place near the flat requiring the renovation, throughout the entire duration of the Works. On completion of the Works, the Contractor shall remove the Notice of Renovation without causing any damage to the common property to which the Notice is affixed to. Should there be any damage, the Contractor shall make good the damage caused by the removal of such a Notice.
8. Use of Hand Held Tools
The Contractor shall :
- use only the hand-held power tools that are specified in HDB's approved list or their equivalent which have been approved by HDB for the renovation Works in HDB flats. At any one time, only two of such hand-held power tools can be used.
- not use sledgehammers or any heavy-duty pneumatic equipment when carrying out the Works in any HDB flat.
9. Safety Measures
The Contractor shall take the following safety measures when carrying out external works such as window and grilles installation/replacement/repair works in any HDB flat:
- barricade the perimeter of the site below the flat with nylon netting before commencing the installations.
- provide adequate signboards at the ground floor to warn residents from going near the site.
- notify residents of the flats below the flat in which the window and grilles installation/replacement/repair works will be carried out, to shut their windows when the installation/replacement/repair works are in progress.
10. Utilities Supplies
The Contractor shall not obtain any water or electricity supply at any time from any sources other than from the HDB flat in which the Works are carried out.
The Contractor shall not tout or harass the lessee or occupier of any HDB flat in order to solicit business in any way, including but not limited to: -
- the display of building materials, signboards, posters or other literature at corridors, void decks and other common areas of HDB blocks of flats, surrounding car parks and on the motor vehicles parked there; or
- the advertising and promotion of services and/or products by the use of loud hailers or other audio visual equipment.
12. Disposal of Materials
The Contractor shall not
- throw or permit to be thrown, any building materials, fixtures, renovation debris or other discarded materials out of windows or over the parapet walls of balconies and common corridors.
- dispose or permit the disposal of, any building materials, fixtures, renovation debris or other discarded materials in the common areas. This includes placing of skip tanks for storage of renovation debris at the car parks and service road without a valid permit from HDB and non-compliance with the terms and conditions of the permit issued.
13. Discharge of Waste
The Contractor shall not discharge/ dispose or permit the discharge/ disposal of waste water, terrazzo slime or renovation debris onto the staircase/ passageway, into the rain water down pipes, sanitary/ sewerage system, the individual or centralised refuse chutes or the pneumatic waste system.
14. Use of Name or Permit
The Contractor shall
- not lend or allow to be used its name /logo and/or its HDB renovation registration in any application for a renovation permit unless the Contractor is executing all the Works stipulated in the application.
- not execute any Works for and on behalf of any contractors who are not registered under the HDB Registered Renovation Contractors' Scheme.
15. Compliance of Regulations\Directions
The Contractor shall comply with any rules, regulations, instructions and requirements made by HDB, the Town Councils as well as other Competent Authorities (eg MOM, BCA, URA, FSSD, NEA, PUB, EMA etc) in relation to renovation in HDB flats. For example, engaging EMA's licensed electrical worker for electrical work, BCA's trained air-conditioner installer for air-con installations, BCA's approved window contractors listed with HDB for window installations, etc. Different Town Councils may also have different requirements that renovation contractors need to comply with before carrying out works in HDB flats. The Contractor shall also comply with the Workplace Safety and Health Act and ensure appropriate measures are taken to ensure the safety of the workplace. It requires reasonably practicable measures to be put in place to ensure the safety and health of workers and other people that are affected by the work being carried out such as the handling of hazardous substances
under the Act.
The Contractor agrees and accepts that the rights and obligations under the registration issued to the Contractor are personal to the holder and are not assignable or transferable to any other person.
17. HDB's Rights
The Contractor agrees and accepts that HDB has the right at all times to maintain its name in its register. The Contractor shall not at any time apply to strike out, delete, expunge or cancel its registration.
18. Residence in the HDB Flat
The Contractor shall ensure that none of its employees or workers reside in the HDB flat in which they are carrying out the Works.
The Contractor agrees and accepts :
- without any qualification that in the event of any infringement or non-compliance with any of the terms herein or direction given by HDB, HDB reserves and has the right to suspend, strike out, withdraw or cancel its HDB renovation registration or debar it from registration under the HDB Registered Renovation Contractors' Scheme at any time without the need to assign any reason to the Contractor. Further, in lieu of any of the aforesaid actions and under its Demerit Point System (“DPS”), HDB will suspend the Contractor’s HDB renovation registration for a period not exceeding 12 months if the Contractor incurs 24 or more demerit points within a period not exceeding 24 consecutive months and a fine of not exceeding $5,000
- that HDB shall have the right to display in the HDB InfoWEB, records of any of its infringement or non-compliance of any of the terms herein or direction given by HDB and the action taken against the Contractor in respect of such infringement or non-compliance.
The Contractor agrees and accepts that it and the firm, in whose name the renovation registration is issued, will remain liable at all times for any infringement of the terms and conditions of the registration previously committed by any former sole proprietor, partner and/or employee of the firm.
The Contractor agrees to indemnify and keep HDB fully indemnified from and against all losses, claims, demands, actions, proceedings, damages, costs or expenses or other liabilities arising in any way from the registration granted to it or breach of any terms herein.
22. Variation of Terms
The Contractor agrees and accepts that HDB may by seven (7) days' prior written notice, add to or vary the terms of the Scheme and that the Contractor shall immediately be bound by such additions or variations upon expiry of such a notice.
23. Variation of Registration Fee
The Contractor agrees and accepts that HDB is entitled to vary any registration fee or charges for registration under this Scheme without prior notice and as and when it deems fit.
24. Employment of Foreign Workers
The Contractor shall ensure that all foreign workers employed by it have valid immigration papers and have lawfully entered Singapore and are allowed to lawfully remain in Singapore.
25. Records of Employees
The Contractor agrees to keep accurate, comprehensive and proper records of all local and foreign workers including their personal particulars and to produce them for inspection or furnish any information therein immediately to HDB or its duly authorized officers as and when required.
26. Supervision of Employees and Works
The Contractor shall
- exercise firm and effective control and supervision over the conduct of its workers or any other persons acting on its instruction on site and to remove any of the aforesaid persons who in the opinion of HDB or its duly authorized officers, is incompetent or has misconducted himself. The Contractor shall not re-employ that person on the same site except with the prior written approval of HDB or its duly authorized officers.
- carry out supervision of the Works on site for strict compliance with the renovation guidelines and conditions.
The Contractor agrees and accepts that any communication or notice to be given to it by HDB shall be effected by sending it by hand, registered post to its last known registered address or business address with HDB, fax or other means of electronic transmission. Such communication shall be deemed to be served on the day of transmission if transmitted by fax or other means of electronic transmission before 4.00 pm on a working day, on the date of delivery if sent by hand before 4.00 pm on a working day or within 48 hours if sent by registered post.
28. Use of Sand
The Contractor undertakes not to use sea sand and to ensure that damp sand delivered to the flat must comply with the following conditions :
- damp sand must be placed on water tight protective covering such as polyethylene sheets.
- the maximum height of the heap of sand is limited to 400mm (0.4 meter), measured from the tip of the heap to the floor level.
- all the sand must not be placed in one single room. The Contractor should make use of all the rooms in the flat to place the sand required for the renovation of the whole flat.
- the heap of sand must be kept close to the corners and edges of the room.
29. Protection of HDB's Properties
The Contractor shall :
- provide protective boarding to the walls and floor of lifts which are used to transport building materials and/or dispose renovation debris.
- not jam the lift door by manipulating the safety edge (SDE) etc while transporting the building materials and/or renovation debris.
- clean and remove any stain in the common areas including the lift car every day, after transporting the building materials and/or renovation debris.
30. Change in Company Structure
The Contractor undertakes to promptly notify HDB in writing of any material change in its board of directors, shareholders or partners.
31. Change in Company Constitution
The Contractor shall not effect any substantial change in its company constitution, whether by reason of amalgamation, reconstruction, conversion into Partnership or otherwise without the prior written approval of HDB and subject to such conditions as may be reasonably imposed by HDB.
32. Change in Business
The Contractor shall not effect any change in the nature or scope of its business without the prior written approval of HDB and subject to such conditions as may be reasonably imposed by HDB.
33. No Waiver
The Contractor agrees and accepts that no failure or delay by HDB in exercising any right or remedy in respect of any breach of any of the terms under this Scheme shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor will any single or partial exercise of any right or remedy preclude any other or further exercise thereof or the exercise of any other right or remedy.
The Contractor undertakes to provide HDB with correct information and not to withhold any information in the application form for registration as an HDB registered renovation contractor. If there is a breach of this condition, HDB shall immediately cancel the application or HDB renovation registration and take such other action against the Contractor as it deems fit.
35. Supply of Information
The Contractor undertakes to supply at its own cost and expense all pertinent data and information and provide such assistance as shall be requested by HDB and fully indemnify HDB for any losses, costs, expenses, actions or damages incurred by HDB in relation to, whether directly or indirectly, supplying HDB with inaccurate, incorrect or insufficient information and data.
Except in the proper performance of the duties hereunder or with the prior written approval of HDB, during the validity or after the cancellation of its registration as an HDB registered renovation contractor, the Contractor shall not use or disclose nor permit such use or disclosure to any person, firm or corporation any confidential information relating to HDB's policies or such other confidential information in its possession or within its knowledge without the prior written approval of HDB.
37. Use of HDB's Name or Logo
The Contractor undertakes not to use HDB's logo or name or publish any information about HDB in any of its advertisements, brochures, flyers and so on.
38. Dispute with flat lessee
The Contractor shall use his best endeavours to settle any dispute with the flat lessee as regards the renovation work [eg. the pricing, work schedule, type and quality of the renovation work, etc] amicably, including taking initiatives to seek assistance from any mediation service providers. When seeking mediation, the Contractor shall notify the flat lessee and obtain his consent before proceeding to do so. Should the Contractor fail to show evidence of such an initiative, HDB reserves its right to take such appropriate action as it deems fit against the Contractor.
39. Window Work (only applicable to Approved Window Contractors)
The Approved Window Contractor shall
- comply with the performance requirements for windows specified in the Building Control Regulations.
- carry out installation/replacement of windows in accordance with HDB safety requirements.
- provide a minimum three-month warranty for any parts replaced or one-year warranty for total replacement of windows.
- agree for the company to be removed from HDB listing if the company has been de-registered from Building Construction Authority (BCA)’s Registry System (CRS) under the regulatory workhead RW01.